Written by best-selling author Miriam Cohen, A Daughter of Two Mothers is the incredible, true account of a handicapped widow's forced separation from her infant daughter, the years of longing and searching, the legal battle, and the subsequent destruction brought by the Nazis. Open this book and you will step into the world of a generation gone, of pre- and post-war Hungarian Jewry, as young Leichu moves between two communities and their divergent lifestyles. This is a gripping story of separation and reunion, of pure faith and acceptance of G-d's will, and of triumph over despair.
|Number of pages||540|
|Binding type||Hard Cover|
- Even my 'non-reader' 17-year old son can't put it downMy daughter very highly recommended this book years ago. When I finally read it, I couldn't believe that she hadn't more 'forcefully' recommended it. Now, this summer, my teenage son was saying that he's bored. He has never been a strong, good reader. But I convinced him to give this book a try, just 20 or so pages. I'm happy to see that he's almost finished it. He's very proud of himself, learning a lot about Jewish history, and being exposed to many, many new English vocabulary words that I think are common but unfortunately are all new to him. It's a captivating, fascinating story of survival during the Holocaust and even though it's about a girl and her two mothers, our son is compelled to continue reading it. Thank you for sharing your inspiring story of survival, resilience, and positivity.
- I could not put this book downI read this book in about three days. I read for many hours at a time. I could not pull myself away from it. Well written. Sometimes sad but all the time pulling me into a story that was riveting. I was brought to tears. I was elated with the victories. This books stirs many emotions. I could not wait to be done to sent it to my daughter in another state (paid over $6.00 to mail priority). One simply has to read it to fully grasp how special this book is.
- Must ReadI read this book a while ago and still think it is an excellent and a must read for all ages. The book teaches you about many different aspects of the 'world that was' besides for 'wwII' lessons and the 'world after'.
I still ache for her as she unfortunately didn't meet her mother after the war and had so little time with her. She didn't give a name for her mother until she had a second daughter!
And the forced adoption!
- A Daughter of two mothersI found this book very gripping and one of the most amazing books I have ever read. I enjoyed it from cover to cover. It is very well written and the story will change your life forever.
- Excellent HashkafaWe have started a book club with this book. It is a story of an individual. Perfect in her struggle for perfection and wholeness and, mostly, closeness to Hashem.
- FabulousThis is a must read for all high school girls and all women. It is a cannot put down book.
- amazingi never actually read this book but i heard its amazing. our school is even making our high school play based on it. i better go read it bye
- MovingFrom the moment I started, I could not wait to sneak away from work, kids and other every day duties in order to satisfy my quench for reading this unbelievably amazing and very well written book. It is a touching story that has left an impact on me and has helped put things in my everyday life into the proper proportions. As we get caught up in our daily lives, though we constantly hear recaps of the horrible atrocities of the Holocaust, we tend to forget the hardships that many people went through to survive that dreadful period. This story is a brilliantly detailed account of an extraordinary young lady who sees her survival as true merit. Kol Hakavod!
- SpeechlessThis is the most incredible story I have ever read and I have read a lot. The fact that the story is true and the afterword makes the story even more powerful. If you are going to read one story this year let this be the one. If any producer would get their hands on this novel it would become a famous movie with no doubt. I wish I could meet this author. I can't wait to read her other book. I am going to share this story with others who want to see G-d's hand. Thank you Fedlheim for making this story available to the English speaking public.
- the most interesting book ive readI am only 11 years old, but I went crazy for this book. I really wasn't able to put the book down after starting it. I finished it in 4 days because i was so attatched to the story, Leichu, and all the other characters. An extraordinary book.
- One of the best books I've ever readThis book captivated me from the first page. The writer has a very readable style and I just did not want the book to end. What an amazing and inspiring story!
- Incredible Story!Excellent story, well written - Miriam Cohen has a wonderful writing style that works for all ages (in my house from 6 to 50)!
This is one of those books that you just can't put down! It took us a few Shabbos afternoons to get through the entire book (that's the only time of the week I have available to read a book of this length to my family), and we talked about it all week anxiously anticipating the next chapter.
When we finished the book we began passing it around the neighborhood, everyone has enjoyed it.
Feldheim - thank you for publishing this book!
Mrs. Cohen - thank you for writing it in such a compassionate, easy-to-read style!
Future readers - I hope you enjoy this true story as much as my family did - it helped us see a side of the holocaust that we had never imagined. We cried, read with anxious anticipation, were encouraged by their emunah, and were filled with joy at even the most minor of successes along the difficult journey the daughter and two mothers experienced! Make sure you have a box of tissues handy! We highly recommend this book.
- A must read!This book is based on a true story of a young girl in the Holocaust time. But there are no horror stories, which make it suitable for young adults and for sensitive readers. Couldn't put it down, from the first page till the last!!!
Write Your Own Review